Tuesday, July 19, 2016

July 19th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Back Control: Regaining Position from Escape Attempt, Transitioning to Kimura Grip; Straight Ankle Lock
Partner: Jesus

Mike taught a good class today on a topic that everyone that wants to attack the back should know (so everyone).  He covered a lot of stuff about the harness grip that I've been passing on lately as well like the importance of using the elbows and the chin on the shoulder.  I really liked the details that he put in when transitioning to the kimura.  How to control someone with a kimura grip is something I'm still trying to figure out as I still lose it in a few situations.  The major take away from the ankle lock setup is that I can bring my foot a little more across their hip than I thought.

Rolling: Free Rolling, Guard KOTM
Rolled With: Nick, Ben, Jesus, Tom, Tim

Did some good things in rolling today after writing yesterdays sob story of a post.  The ups and downs are a real thing in this sport and it's good to be reminded of that once in a while.  I had some great feedback from friends on Facebook that appreciated the post.  The thought that upper belts have bad days too was refreshing to some.

I've been working on incorporating arm drags in my no gi game a little more lately.  It seems my no gi guard game currently consists of butterfly guard to either hook sweep, single leg-x, kimura, guillotine, arm drag or fall into half guard (okay that seems like a lot).  I played some deep half as well today and need to work on tightening up my no gi deep half as it's feeling a little loosy-goosy. 

Office Hours Partner: Ben, Mike, Tom

Went over my ideas on cross guard in no gi with Ben. Mike also showed us some side to side transitions from side control.

No comments:

Post a Comment