Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 18th 2016 - Kids & Open Mat

Had a large number of teammates compete at the submission challenge tournament. From the picture it looks like many did well. I'm proud to be a part of the team. Jerad and I held down the fort for the kids' classes and open mat.

Josh J texted me after the tournament and say he hit the cross guard omoplata that we've been working on. Awesome feeling to know I made a difference in someone's BJJ game.


Kids Class
Technique: Kneeling Guard Break to Knee Slide
Rolling/Game: Closed Guard, Stand-up Sparring

Teaching the younger kids class was a little trying on the patience. Luckily I've had a lot of practice with my own 3 boys and kept my cool.

The older kids' class couldn't have been more different.  My boys have been doing great in class lately.  Jayden still needs a little aggression he has a habit of turning away when someone comes at him. Jace is doing fine, but maybe relying on his walk around back take too much.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Ben L, Wes, Lucas, Justin, Jerad
Game Plan: Open Guard

Ben: This is my first roll with him and I like his style.  He did some inversion type stuff and some good grip breaking. I think we rolled 5 or 6 times.

Wes: Got several rolls with him too. He did an interesting thing to remove my knee shield in half guard using a gabble grip over the knee to pry it out of the way. After rolling we talked about open guard; I mentioned that I like 2 on 1 so we went over that for a while along with the grip break.

Lucas: I decided my best game plan was to keep my distance at all cost. I played shin on biceps guard and any time he put me in half guard or tried single under leg pass I'd fight to return to the biceps.  In the past I would go with the flow and end up in half guard and eventually get smashed and passed. It was cool that I was able to form a plan execute it and stick with it.

Justin: He did much better against me than any of our previous rolls. Probably a little of him being fresh and me just having a 15 minute roll with Lucas. Regardless he's getting better and I think he just needs to get a few answers to some common positions.

Jerad: We started out rolling well but it was only a matter of time before I gassed.  I tried to be a little less predictable and not go for my best stuff, which seemed to work, I think I just need new stuff. He caught me with a nasty cross choke from mount.


No comments:

Post a Comment