Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 4th 2016 - Open Mat

Open Mat
Rolled With: Mark, Craig, Derek M, Drew, Cat, Justin, Michelle

Mark: I was planning on avoiding any tough rolls since my back has been iffy lately.  But it worked out that our visiting purple belt Mark and I were the only one's not rolling, so I sucked it up and asked him to roll. It was tough just like Wednesday. I still couldn't pass his guard. He would sweep me from butterfly and I would go to deep half and use some Faria stuff to sweep him back. It was good fun and injury free.

Craig: We did mostly positional stuff from side control where I showed my high percentage escapes. From the top I emphasized that I'm always trying to attack or at least keep the bottom person on the defensive. That way they're not in the best position to mount their escape.

Derek: Worked on the over/under pass with him as Greg gave him it to focus on for the tournament. I showed him a few specific things I like to do and then entries from butterfly and open guard.  We then worked on a few bottom half and deep half things.

Drew: Almost repeated all of the information I went over with Craig concerning top and bottom side control. Then we rolled for a bit.

Cat: We went no gi and had a pretty good couple rolls. She defended quite a few things that I threw her way. One thing that we discussed was her passing style and that she rarely tried to come up the middle with knee slide or something like that.

Justin: He may not feel this way, but he's been posing me some challenges when we've rolled. The combination of his wrestling experience and his short stocky build put us in a few positions I didn't expect. I think if he just breaks a few habits like turning away and not protecting his neck, he'll do well.

Michelle: We rolled several times mostly because she kept saying,"okay one more time!" I was impressed by her bridging and hip mobility. At one point I did the omoplata sweep and then rerolled which she rolled with for another sweep so I rerolled again, and a couple more times, eventually I changed it up and went for the mounted triangle setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment