Monday, June 6, 2016

June 6th 2016 - Gi Advanced & Beginner

Quite an eventful day for my last day of bachelordom 2016.  I got Conan and Fuji interested in the Back Buddy Jr. I should probably get a referral bonus.  Then I think I startled everyone when I used my Marine voice at the end of advanced class and shouted at Derek, "ON YOUR FEET, MARINE!"  Not sure if Greg appreciated that but I think I surprised a couple people that perceive me as the soft spoken guy.  

Advanced
Theme & Techniques: Omoplata Finishing triangling the legs under the arm or under the leg
Partner: Mark

Greg had us start the omoplata from shin on bicep guard.  One key thing that I forgot about setting up the omoplata from this guard is that both arms go to the side of the arm that you are going to do the technique on to control posture.  Then the techniques were in response to them basing out with either their far hand or leg and weaving the outside leg under them.  It kind of turned into the same pressure that I use when doing the crucifix omoplata. Great topic for me!

Rolling: Closed Guard KOTM, Free Rolling

I feel much better about my performance today than last Wednesday.  My back not being as tight was a huge improvement.  I played some cross guard of course and hit some omoplata sweeps and submissions.  One of the coolest things I hit was a barata plata.  I was trying to get the triangle and didn't feel like I could close my legs properly.  I set up the arm correctly and stepped over the head and it was right there.  I think I might use this as a goto for big guys that I get to triangle position in but have no chance of securing the legs.

Beginner
Theme & Techniques: Kesa Getami Leg Over Head to Armbar, Turtle Turnover to Side and Back Control
Partner: Angie

Felt bad for Angie as my gi was already damp with sweat.  She said she didn't mind.  I'll probably save my tips on the techniques of the week for Wednesday's post.  This was the first time I worked with Angie and besides a few pointers seemed like she knew the techniques pretty well.

Rolling: Turtle
Rolled With: Angie, John


Angie did pretty well from the top position with giving pressure on my hips and searching for the grips.  I surprised her a few times with the granby.  John was all over me from the top threatening the back.  We had some good exchanges where I really had to scramble to keep him from taking my back. 

Office Hours: Brian M.

Brian asked me to go over the hip switch guard pass again since we touched on it Friday morning.  I showed him the basics of the position and then went off on all of the possibilities that I like to go into from there.  Kimura to submit or to help with the pass, Push on the knee and Back Step, Go to Quarter Guard, Back to Knee Slide, or attempt EZKill Choke, etc.  I could see that it was getting to be too much.  So I told him to just keep it simple and get to the position for now and then work to get his foot free.  The other stuff will come with time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment