Thursday, June 2, 2016

June 2nd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Turtle Granby Roll
Students: Gina, Robert, Bhuvana, Shane, David, Megan

Greg was busy getting our website back up and running so had me teach today.  Had everyone do the Best Case Scenario drill which went really well.  Not a lot more to cover in this section that I didn't mention in a previous post.  Was happy to see 3 women kicking butt in class today!  We got Megan to do some successful granby rolls. 

Rolling: Turtle, Half Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Shane, Robert

We had even numbers for the positional sparring so I sat out and watched and helped.  I guilted Bhuvana and Megan into staying one more 2 minute round so they got to work on both half guard and turtle. 

Shane did some good things when maintaining guard, I really had to work hard to stay ahead of him.  While I eventually passed I tried to assure him that he made me work harder than in the past. 

Robert gave me a really tough time and I think a huge part of it is I just have to insist on taking control rather than trying to wait for him to make a mistake.  I've been giving up too much position wise and by the time I want to start fighting I'm not in a good spot to do it. 

Office Hours Partner: Shane, Dave

We talked about some basic half guard stuff and I hopefully talked them out of triangling their legs in half guard.  I showed them how to use their legs a little bit and that they need to independently work with the upper and lower body.

No comments:

Post a Comment