Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1st 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Knee Slide Pass, Turtle Granby Roll
Students: Mark (Visiting Purple Belt), Tom, Morgan, Justin, Chris C

One of the coolest things about BJJ is that you can usually find a school to train at wherever you travel and they are usually quite welcoming.  We often have visitors traveling through Lincoln and the ones that I'm aware of have been good experiences.  Mark is a purple belt from Texas who is also in the Army.  He was very cool and I learned a few things from him to boot.

Some tips on the techniques of the week:
  • O-Soto Gari: Keep your stepping foot close to their foot leaving just enough space for your sweeping leg to get through.  You want your weight to be directly over your stepping leg so you don't extend yourself too much while sweeping.
  • Half Guard Knee Slide: To get the initial underhook bob your head to the outside to get a clear shot to the underhook and drive their shoulder to the ground.  This avoids putting your head on the wrong side after getting the underhook
  • Granby: I adjusted a few turtles today and focused on covering up the spaces.  There has to be a balance between spreading out your knees and lowering your hips with your ability to use your elbows and hands 

Rolling: Half Guard, Turtle, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Everyone

Did a couple rounds of half guard one with Mark.  We were able to sweep each other from the bottom but had a harder time passing.  I may have to bulk up my half guard passing because I don't feel nearly as strong from there.  He did prevent my hip switch pass which I usually have success with on better guys.  He caught me in transition and didn't let me take up the space and kind of butterfly swept me.

Helped Morgan a bit with turtle from both top and bottom.  Chris tagged me on Facebook saying that he "gunnin for me" so we had a free roll and no gunnin took place. 

Office Hours Partner: Mark, Tom

Had a good 5 minute roll with Mark after class.  I wasn't able to pass his guard.  He did a great job of preventing my over under pass and eventually I got over extended and he caught me with an armdrag and took my back.  I defended well and he went to mount and grape vined and looked for the ezkill but the time ran out before he could submit me or I could escape.  He showed me a good counter to grape vines by kicking out at a 45 degree angle and then stepping on the other foot to get to quarter guard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment