Wednesday, June 8, 2016

June 8th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Kesa Getami Leg Over Head to Armbar, Turtle Turnover to Side and Back Control
Partner: Tyler, Justin

Some tips on the techniques of this week:
  • Kesa Escape: When pushing the face don't use forearm with a bent elbow.  Rather shoot your hand up straight turning their chin
  • Turtle turnover: After getting the far lapel it's important to pull your elbow tight to the hip with the intention of moving the hip from there as you do the turnover part.  Don't let go of the grip until you have side control or back mount secure.

Rolling: Turtle, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jared, Mark, Chris, Tom

Had a great couple of rounds with Jerad and had to work hard from both top and bottom of turtle.  We had some guard passing scrambles as we both tried to prevent the other from establishing position.  Mark also gave me a tough time and did a few different things like grabbing my collar and ankle to prevent my granby.  Nice to have some higher level guys in the day classes.


Had fun rolling with both Tom and Chris.  I gave Chris a little shit for calling me out over Facebook the previous week.  Since I knew Tom is working on spider guard I asked if he wanted to start from there and he was able to sweep with it but needs to work on coming up.

Office Hours Partner: Tom

Tom asked if there was anything I wanted to work on.  So I looked at some cross guard troubleshooting when they hide their elbow and stand up.  I finally saw some value in a position that Tinguinha teaches in his DVD where you wrap the standing leg with your leg and grab your shin and then work into a sickle sweep or back to the omoplata.  Very cool to revisit something that I dismissed out of hand previously and can now find useful when I'm ready for it. 

We worked on guard passing for Tom with an emphasis on grip fighting and breaking knee grips.  Something that I realized that I do but never really thought of it as too important was when I get my knee grips I jump to my feet while putting pressure down on their legs, from there I use whatever my opponent does to determine if I keep putting pressure on their legs to the floor or try to put them on their back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment