Wednesday, June 22, 2016

June 22nd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: X-Pass, No Gi Toreando
Partner: Jordan

Just the 3 of us this morning so we worked on some guard passes concerning Jordan's game.  We discussed both gi and no gi versions of the x-pass.  This pass is in my go to group of passes so got some good reps in.  The other pass I hadn't done before and I really like it as an extra option for no gi passing.   I'll need to work on it more though. 

From top open guard put your hand on their belly and control the inside of their knee then go to plank position.  Pushing down on their knee while moving sideways until their knee is on the floor.  From their switch the grip to the top of the knee and push their leg across the floor.  Then move straight into side control.

Rolling: Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jerad, Jordan

We did round robin 5 minute rounds.  Had some good rolls and I feel like I made a breakthrough with the cross collar choke.  Jerad was doing it with both palms down so I decided to try that and I felt like I was able to get the angle on the neck that much better.  I'm going to be hunting this for a while from mount.  Mostly was on the bottom with Jerad and had some good exchanges but ultimately he's beating me in top half guard.  He's pretty much dismantling the stuff that I'm good at from there.  So I'm wondering if I should avoid half guard all together with him and try to play a different open guard game or if I just need to keep trying to figure out ways to use what I'm good at.  We talked a bit about it after class and he gave me some ideas with keeping his knee down or having a tight half butterfly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment