Thursday, September 15, 2016

September 15th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Closed Guard: Cross Choke, Armbar
Partner: Justin

Small class today for a Thursday.  Still got some good work in and we welcomed back Anthony after a several month hiatus.  My neck took a lot of punishment today so much so that Greg was feeling sorry for demonstrating on me so much with the cross choke.

Tips on Techniques of the week:
  • O-Goshi: Greg stressed on getting your feet close together.  This was a change for me moving from Hapkido to BJJ and Judo.  We did a lot of our throws with our feet wide.  I feel like it's no big deal now but it did take some time to get over.
  • Cross Choke: I've had some success with using the princess wave motion along with turning my shoulders to get my second hand in.  Also, imagine doing this technique correctly every time we do chokes from the guard ab exercise during warm-up.
  • Armbar: Greg used a 2 on 1 grip to setup the armbar which opens up so many possibilities in itself.  Even if you don't get the armbar this is a great control.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling with Stand-up
Rolled With: Justin, Anthony, Lucas

It felt pretty humid and stuffy today and it was affecting everyone.  I went for both the armbar and the cross choke but decided to go for pendulum sweep a couple times instead.  Used some loop chokes and some omoplata sweeps.  Messed up one time where I should have gone for the sweep but wanted the omoplata submission more, created a little scramble and saved myself with an elbow push.  Did a great drop seonage but took a knee to the forehead after my partner fell.  Didn't affect me at the time but I think it probably left a mark.

Office Hours Partner: Justin

We talked about some grip fighting and he marveled at the cross sleeve kimura grip break.  I agree it's something everyone should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment