Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 27th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Crucifix: Entry from Turtle, RNC
Partner: Jesus

Great class today on the subject of crucifix which I'm always interested in learning more about.  I wonder if it would be a more popular position if it scored points in tournaments? 

Greg had us get to the position by getting a harness grip and then using the near knee (rather than the one that would be used as a hook in back mount) to pry their elbow from their body.  From there the other foot slides along your knee to drag their arm into the crucifix.  Greg wanted us to stay on top from here and setup the RNC.  I thought we were going to try to roll them over.  The RNC is very strong here and I'm liking it a lot.

Rolling: Turtle, Up/Down/Out Closed Guard
Rolled With: Jesus, John, Tim, Mike A

Greg had us start from turtle with a harness and then turtle with the knee isolating the arm.  It was very difficult being on the bottom, but I think it's the best way to give the person on top a chance to attempt what we worked on.  I escaped to guard a few times, got caught in back mount a few times.  From the top I wasn't able to catch anyone in the crucifix/RNC, everyone did a good job of monitoring their elbows and they were most likely expecting it. 

Had some good battles from guard and some close calls.  Mike and I had an entertaining match that went back and forth with guillotine attempts to butterfly sweeps to leg lock battles to finally me sitting on my butt and it being considered a sweep for him. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We rolled a couple times after and had a great time.  I was close to a knee bar at one point before he triangled his legs.  Afterward he showed me that I should go for the heel rather than messing with the bend of his knee, it makes total sense and I hope I can change that habit in the future.  I also attempted a heel hook from top half guard setup that I'm liking a lot.  Haven't been able to finish it yet but it seems close to something that I can use.  We also discussed kimura from bottom half guard which is still a work in progress for me.  I'll get to the position but often get stacked or get it reversed on me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment