Friday, September 23, 2016

September 23rd 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing RNC Defense to O-Soto Gari, Kneeling Guard Break to Single Under Pass, Defense with elbow stiff arm
Students: Craig, Jeff, Jesus, Tyler (New)

Got to teach again this morning and had a decent turnout.  I duplicated Wednesday's warm-up and had them work on sit-out and sprawling. 

At the end of class while stretching I've been asking if anyone learned anything today.  Everyone usually says yes, but not everyone always answers when I ask "what?"  Everyone came up with something today which included: "Learned to pick a side with my head when doing the sitout", "Lead with my hips instead of my head when passing butterfly guard to avoid loop chokes."  Makes me feel like I did some good instructing.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Jesus, Jeff

Felt like loop choke is coming back for me as a viable technique, I've been sneaking it in a lot lately from butterfly guard.  I think the big thing is that I'm also more willing to roll with it to make it tighter where I used to try to stay upright in guard. 

Helped Jeff with defending from side control and mount and enforcing that when defending he needs to try to get back flat on his back.  This was quite an epiphany for me when I was told that I actually didn't want to be on my side all the time in side control, because it exposes your arm and back to attacks.  Of course in the process of bridging and hip escaping you will be on your side momentarily but you don't want to hang out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment