Wednesday, September 21, 2016

September 21st 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Bent over Headlock Escape to Tani Otoshi, Kneeling Guard Break to Single Under Pass, Defense with elbow stiff arm
Students: Tom, Daniel, Ben, Evan

During warm-up I had them work on the sit-out which progressed from an individual exercise, to a partner exercise from headlock position, to attempting a shot, getting sprawled on and then completing the sit-out.  This is something that I want to improve on for myself so hopefully they got something out of it too.

Tips on techniques:
  • Tani Otoshi: One of my favorite throws in theory but I haven't hit it often in live rolling.  The biggest improvement that I see is when people are told to guide their partner around in a circle to their back.
  • Single Under Pass: Put an emphasis on separating the steps into 3 specific movements.  Moving straight in to lift their hips off the floor, turning 90 degrees, then moving straight forward to move their legs to the ground.  Deviating from that can give the guard player some leverage.
We had some time so I showed the elbow stiff arm if the passer isn't tight enough with their elbow.  So hopefully the importance of keeping your elbow tight during that pass made sense.  The elbow push is also a very useful technique to know for side control escapes.

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling

Sat out a few rolls and coached and then was able to get in some rolls myself.  Gave pointers where I could.  Saw Daniel in an omoplata and told him to do a barrel roll to sweep.  He made the comment, "so that's what that's all about." Helped Evan a bit with the basics of half guard and getting on his side.  I was able to hit a spiral armbar from side control that I had a textbook setup on so pretty stoked about that.

Office Hours Partner: Daniel, Tom

Rolled with Daniel a few times and apparently he accidentally opened up some stitches that he's been dealing with.  Hopefully he'll be able to get back on the mats soon.  We discussed north/south choke a bit because he said he's been caught with it lately.  Worked on cross guard and shin on shin to single x with Tom after that.  I'm trying to help him find his guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment