Tuesday, September 6, 2016

September 6th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Side Control: Underhook to Tripod Escape or Half guard, Arm Triangle Choke
Partner: Lucas S

A few interesting things came out of this class.  Greg emphasizes escaping with the underhook to single leg in no-gi over the knee across the belt basic escape that we learn in gi, primarily because it puts you in heel hook position.  I'm trying to think of any other technique that is essential in gi but gets you in trouble in no gi.  Obviously collar chokes or sleeve grips fall into this category.

The other thing was watching how Greg moves his head to get it into position for the arm triangle.  It was similar to the way I work my way into north/south choke.  Once he got the deep cross face and started to put his head on the floor he then shook it back and forth to walk their arm up and get under their elbow.  Also similar to walking an arm up in mount. 

Rolling: Side Control Up/Down/Out


Tried to get a roll in with as many different people as I could.  Mike obviously gave me the most touble and fun rolls.  There were some leg attacks and some deep half battles and a north/south choke that I wasn't quite able to finish.

Ben also did a good job and was really close to securing deep half guard on me and I just squeaked out of it.  I've been where he was though and consider it a part of my deep half growth.  I got into a couple of strangle triangle positions as I was trying to figure it out but eventually figured out where my arms and shoulders need to be at any given time to avoid a back take or triangle.  Great attempt from him though.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

Asked him about leg drags and he showed me a basic setup.  It was better than the one that I had learned previously.  First thing was to kill one leg by pushing it down and using my leg to hold it.  Then using posture and hips to push the foot to the other hips.  That first part was something I was missing in my previous practice with the technique, it kind of reminded me of how I setup the over/under pass.

Had a great fast paced roll after class.  He gave me some kudos for the pace and intensity.  I'm doing better at preventing side control. Some more leg lock attacking from both of us, I was able to granby into a knee bar position, but didn't know how to finish it.  We went round and round a bit more and I ended up in deep half and waiter sweep which went to ankle locks that I wasn't able to defend but should have spun out of while kicking the butt.


No comments:

Post a Comment