Friday, September 16, 2016

September 16th 2016 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Closed Guard: Cross Choke, Armbar
Partner: Mike (Visitor)

Worked with a visitor today from Alvarez BJJ (http://www.alvarezbjj.com/) in Texas.  Had a good time training with Mike as he had a great attitude and was up and ready to go at 6:30 AM.  Conan had us do a different armbar setup where we climbed up their back and secured our leg on the shoulder before putting the leg over for the armbar.  I didn't feel like I was very good at it. 

Rolling: Guard, Free Rolling
Rolled With: Mike, Craig

From the bottom I played closed guard and some 2 on one.  I didn't have much success with the techniques of the day though.  There were a couple times where I swept Mike, but he was pretty good about acting right away to start recovering guard and not settling.  He said that he has only trained for a year but he felt much better than that. 

Office Hours Partner: Mike

Conan, Mike, and I rolled a few more times after class.  Mike's training for a tournament soon so we went over some of his game plan and drilled a few things.  He was also interested in my North/South choke and we worked on that for a bit.

We talked about competing and visiting other schools and how a school can have a game or technique theme revolving around what the instructor is good at.  I've said it before but one of the best things about Jiu-Jitsu as that you can travel and walk into a club and feel welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment