Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 20th 2016 - No Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: X-Guard: Entry, Technical Stand-up Sweep, Toe Hold
Partner: Ben, Tim

Great class today, it's been a while since I've worked on x-guard.  We did the entry from an attempted butterfly sweep where they base out one leg.  I felt pretty natural and strong for me to get into the position.

The stand-up sweep is something that I use all the time, usually in transition from single leg x to full x.  I really like toe holds, but don't get to practice them that much and they aren't covered in class often so it was great.  

Rolling: KOTM Butterfly

Great rolls with everyone. Had some trouble with engaging from butterfly guard. Everyone was doing well with hand fighting and posture.

Had some especially tough rolls with Mike. They're physically and mentally taxing. Trying to pass takes time as I don't want to get caught in a trap but I also have to be on the offensive. From the bottom I end up in deep half often and usually put myself in trouble when going for a waiter sweep. Greg gave me advice to go for single leg x heel hook when he starts to go for knee bar. So I tried it but Mike heard what I was going to do and countered that.





No comments:

Post a Comment